Warning...Hot Area: There was smoke rising up from the ground, and the smell of oil was almost overpowering. I found that I could not hang around there for very long as I am sensitive to chemical odors, and it just plain isn't safe to breathe those fumes for very long.This mountain is still hot and the oil shale is still burning deep underground from early attempts at oil shale extraction, the whole goal of which was to create synthetic crude oil to be used as fuel oil. "One of the earliest in-situ processes was the underground gasification by electrical energy process exploited between 1940 and 1966 for the oil shale extraction at Kvarntorp, Sweden.[5] In this process, electric heaters were installed in bore holes and the gas pressure, generated by heating, pressed shale oil and gas vapors to flow through conduits to condensers. Gases were sucked out and treated in the treatment plant." (Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oil_shale_extraction)