Land Ho!: We have landfall at sunrise! Iceland is dead ahead, and I was surprised to see mountains for my first view. I guess that makes sense, though, considering that it sits smack dab on the Mid-Atlantic Ridge. WOW! I am in Iceland! Never in my life did I ever expect to step foot on this land. I just about passed out from the excitement of it. WooHoo!Let me give you a tiny bit of information about Iceland that I found in my Insight Guides: Iceland book by the Discovery Channel: "Icelanders often say that their country was unfairly named, since it is, after all, strikingly green for much of the year. But anyone paying a visit to the Southeast will have ice on their minds, no matter what the season. The whole area is dominated by Europe's largest icecap, Vatnajokull, whose enormous glaciers creep down through every crack in the coastal mountains like oozing blue putty.
Volcanoes regularly erupt beneath it, devastating farmland with flows of melted ice and debris as large in volume as the Amazon River. Little wonder then if the Viking explorers thought the name "Iceland" appropriate."
The series of photos that you will see are of the mountains and glaciers of the southern coast of Iceland, that I could see from my window seat on the plane. I always plan each airplane trip by what I might see out the window. I made sure that we had seats on the left side of the plane so we could see Greenland and Iceland as we passed over them. Fun!